Before you register
- Enrollment in up to three courses with 8 sessions of 90 minutes each
- Participation in science speed geeking
- Volley tournament
- Farewell party
Yes, there is a possibility to present own research. However, instead of a poster session we will organize a science speed geeking in a restaurant, i.e. each presenter gives a 5 minute talk to a small group, after 5 minutes the group moves further on to the next presenter. Presenters are supposed to bring copies of their handouts in A4 format. Further details, e.g. whether there will be a reviewing process in advance, will depend on how much interest will be indicated with the registration. Presenters will be provided with further details in early summer. Anybody is allowed to submit a poster.
You might ask for funding from your home institution.
Prepare your stay
The workshop takes place in the seminar building right behind the main building of the Humboldt University which is located in the heart of Berlin, on the city’s most famous historic street Unter den Linden. It is next to the famous Maxim Gorki Theater and opposite to the German State Opera House. The Museum Island and the TV tower are just across a bridge and the Brandenburg Gate is a ten-minute walk up Unter den Linden.
- AB ticket covers the whole Berlin area until the city boundary.
- Schönefeld Airport and Potsdam are outside of Berlin city boundary, i.e. in the zone C.
- short distance tickets — up to 3 urban rail or metro stations (change allowed) and up to 6 bus or tram stations (no change)
- single tickets (120 minutes, change allowed, no returns or round trips)
- daily tickets (valid until 3 a.m. of the following day)
- 7-day tickets
- and some more
Tickets can be purchased at multilingual ticket machines on the platforms of S-and U-Bahn stations. In buses, fares are paid to the bus driver, in trams at machines inside the trains. In larger stations the S-Bahn and BVG provide ticket counters. If there is no date-stamp on your ticket, please make sure to validate it by stamping it at the yellow or red boxes on the platforms, in buses or trams. In case of inspection, a ticket that is not stamped is invalid, which results in a large fee.
Stops closest to the school location:
- S-Bahn: “S+U Friedrichstrasse” (lines S5, S7, S75, S1, S2, S25)
- U-Bahn: “U Friedrichstrasse” (line U6)
- Bus: “Staatsoper” (lines 100, 200)
- Tram:”Universitätsstrasse” (lines 12, M1)
S-Bahn lines S5, S7 or S75 to “S+U Friedrichstrasse”, ~10 minutes
How to arrive from Tegel Airport:
Bus line TXL to “S+U Hauptbahnhof”, change to S-Bahn (platform 15), lines S5, S7 or S75 to “S+U Friedrichstrasse”, ~10 minutes walk – or bus line 128 to “U Kurt-Schumacher-Platz”, change to U-Bahn line U6 to “S+U Friedrichstraße”.
How to arrive from Schönefeld Airport:
This trip requires a ticket ‘Berlin ABC’. – local train (RE7 or RB14) or S-Bahn S9 to “S+U Friedrichstrasse”, ~10 minutes walk
For further information and to get recent directions check the websites of the Transport Association Berlin-Brandenburg (VBB) or of the Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG)
- Three little pigs hostel berlin Three little pigs Hostel Berlin (WLAN, desk in the room, laundry room)
- Cityhostel Berlin, Glinkastr. 5-7, 10117 Berlin
- Check In Hostel Berlin, Markgrafenstraße 68, 10969 Berlin
During the school
Participants of a summer school are considered as temporary university members and can eat to the university member price in the refectories. Proof of participation must be presented at the cash registers. You also can purchase a MensaCard for a 1.55€ at the cash registers. The status ‘University Member’ will then be deposited on the card. The cards can be returned at the end of the summer school at each canteen. Credit and pledge are paid directly. Students enrolled in Berlin who have a valid enrollment certificate for a university cooperating with the Studierendenwerk Berlin can claim the student price.